A trader in the north-eastern town told Reuters news agency that Boko Haram fighters took the children with them when they fled.
On the night of 14–15 April 2014, 276 female students were kidnapped from the Government Secondary School in the town of Chibok in Borno State, Nigeria. The kidnappings were claimed by Boko Haram, an Islamic Jihadist and terrorist organization based in northeast Nigeria. As of 29 June, more than 200 students were still missing.
Mother of one of the girls dies of heart attack.
The NSA, IG Police, Service Chiefs visit Chibok
Boko Haram’s leader Abubakar Shekau says in a video that his group carried out the mass abduction and vows to sell the girls as slave brides.
Hundreds of parents, many dressed in red, protest in Chibok to demand help from the government and other countries
By April 24, #BringBackOurGirls was trending on Twitter. Parents of the missing girls and other Nigerians were seeking international attention to put pressure on their own government to do something for the girls. As of May 7, the hashtag had been used more than 1.5 million times on Read more | Audio
Two days after the kidnapping, the Nigerian military issued a statement that almost all of the girls, then estimated at over 100, had been freed. The next day, the military retracted their claim. The numbers were sketchy at first, and remain uncertain but, after nearly a month, most reports say that 276 girls remain in […]
Lagos branch of Nigerian Union of Teachers protest girls abduction.